Shrieks erupted from the girls’ locker room last week, and they weren’t because a boy had walked in. It was a snake.
The snake was found by freshmen Niharika Bhaskar and Kayla Crenshaw’s lockers as they entered the team room at the end of 5th period.
P.E. instructor, Trri Shipman was the first adult to find out about the slippery serpent.
“After some thought, and fear, I put a trash can over it and scooped it up with a poster board. I took it out to the grounds crew,” Shipman said.
The snake was determined by the grounds crew to be a baby rattlesnake. Baby rattlesnakes are known to be even more venomous than fully grown rattlesnakes since they cannot control their venom output.
Both Shipman and the grounds crew are unsure of how the snake entered the locker room.
“I didn’t even see it at first,” Bhaskar said, “ I almost stepped on it.”
Though many in the locker room were shaken up by the incident, the snake did not cause any harm to any students or staff, and was disposed of by the grounds crew.